Do July 4 recipes make you think of red, white blue and healthy OR burgers, brats, and creamy coleslaw every. single. year?
Here are a few Patriotic recipes that will have you celebrating our great nation and a healthy waistline.
Red, White and Blue Turkey Burger Sliders with Blueberry Balsamic Reduction
Ingredients (Makes 6-8 sliders)
- 6 ounces fresh blueberries
- 1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 packages Truvia
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and chopped
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat feta cheese
- whole wheat slider buns
- 1 tsp. coriander
- 1 tsp. cracked black pepper
- Muddle the blueberries over medium heat in a sauce pan until completely broken down and the juices start to bubble. Add the balsamic vinegar and Truvia. Stir until it thickens.
- Add all burger ingredients in a bowl and fold until well combined. Form six to eight small patties. Place on a low-to-medium heat grill for about 5 minutes, then turn and cook about 3-5 more minutes.
- Place each patty on a slider bun and top with the blueberry balsamic reduction. Serve and enjoy!
Ok, so this recipe only has the color red, but you can pair it with any number of colorful vegetables to get your patriotic theme on the plate. The tasty shrimp are a tasty and healthier alternative to breaded and fried shrimp poppers.
Ingredients (Serves 10)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pounds fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Skewers or grill basket
- In a large bowl, stir together first seven ingredients, then add shrimp and stir until evenly coated. Cover, and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour, stirring once or twice.
- Preheat grill to medium heat. Thread shrimp onto skewers or toss into a grill basket. Discard marinade.
- Lightly oil grill grate. Cook shrimp on preheated grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until opaque.
Red, White and Blueberry Quinoa Salad
Red quinoa is a whole grain that packs a good nutritional punch when partnered with feta cheese and the berries. This recipe is simple, fast and delicious.
Ingredients (serves 4)
5 ounces salad greens
3 cups cooked, cooled red quinoa
1.5 cups blueberries
1.5 cups raspberries
- 6 ounces feta cheese
Sliced watermelon cut into stars with a cookie cutter (optional)
Favorite salad dressing, served on the side (any flavor will taste great)
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions and set aside to cool completely.
- You can arrange the ingredients in layers or you can mix all the ingredients together. Serve the dressing on the side.
Berries and Coconut Cream
Packed with antioxidants, berries are naturally sweet so you shouldn’t need to add sugar unless you get a sour pack.
Coconut oil contains medium chain triglycerides that are a good source of energy for your brain (the small amount should not boost your saturated fat intake too high for the day).
Ingredients (serves 8)
- 2 pounds mixed berries (such as blackberries and raspberries)
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (softened in microwave slightly)
- In a large bowl, gently toss the berries and lime juice.
- With an electric mixer, beat the heavy cream and coconut oil until soft peaks form. Serve with the berries.
American Flag Popsicles
- Vanilla, strawberry or blueberry yogurt or kefir
- Popsicle Sticks
- Layer 1: Chop strawberries finely. Put 1/2 TBL chopped strawberries in bottom of popsicle mold. Add enough water to barely cover the berries. Freeze for minimum of one hour.
- Layer 2: Spoon out 1/2 tablespoon yogurt or kefir on top of strawberry layer. (vanilla or plain will make the U.S. flag) Return to freezer for minimum of one hour.
- Layer 3 and 4: Repeat steps one and two.
- Slide the sticks into the popsicles or the popsicle mold.
- Layer 5: Fill top of popsicle mold with blueberries. Fill the rest of the mold with water to cover the blueberries. Return to freezer until popsicles are completely frozen.