Chocolate avocado mousse is the second place winner of the Thunder Cake Recipe Contest!
The idea is simple: puree avocados, cocoa powder, and dates in your food processor. The result is a thick, dreamy pudding that would never seem to be veggie-based, even though it is. This recipe is from a registered dietitian, Christine Link, MS, RD and Cathy Pemberton from OHW’s partner New Perspective Senior Living. You’ll be surprised by the creamy texture and the chocolatey yet tangy flavor.
Here’s how it happens:
Avocado Chocolate Pudding (aka, Chocomole!)
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted
- 6-10 dates (depending on size of dates and desired sweetness) 8 medjool dates are recommended, soaked if necessary in ½ tsp vanilla
- 4 heaping Tbsp cocoa
- Water as needed
- Optional: ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- Place all ingredients in a food processor (you can use a blender or Vitamix, but food processors work much better for this recipe) and begin blending.
- While the motor is running, drizzle water in, stopping to scrape sides of bowl if need be, until the mixture resembles a thick, chocolate pudding.
- Let it continue mixing until smooth and creamy.
Why This is a Winner: This recipe is a sweet treat that’s better than store-bought—and far more nutrient rich. The monounsaturated fats in avocado promote heart health, and avocados are full of potassium, soluble fiber (which is crucial for digestive health), and vitamin E. Make this the year you swap out the Jello boxes for a few ripe avocados. Your tastebuds (and kids) will thank you!
Be sure to check out the winning recipe from the Thunder Cake Challenge HERE.